Sunday, March 26, 2023

Superman: Sacrifice Review (Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Part 6)

 

[ACT VI - Sacrifice]
  • Superman #219
     - Sacrifice, Part I  : "Touch" = Mind-donk? How about mind-gangbang! This was crazy schizo storytelling, but I'm hoping they'll reveal how the heck Lord was able to augment his power to this big of an extent. Benes art is great and Verheiden's dialogue is growing on me. Was it all a hallucination or was he tricked into seeing someone else as Brainiac? I'm assuming the Daily Planet sequence happened besides him seeing Brainiac since Lois mentions it on the first page. Did he even go to the bottom of the Mariana Trench? Who did he attack? Whose blood was on his hands? Who went to visit Lois during the intro?
  • Action Comics #829
     - 
    Sacrifice, Part II : "End of Identity
    "
     = This mystery is irritating my mind! Purposely withholding information not only from Superman, but from the readers! Don't really care for the little snippet of the assassin coming for Lois, but I guess Simone has to set something up for the remainder of this title once this crossover is over. When Supes looks at Bruce's comatose body, does he see him or just another illusion? How far does Lord's control go?
  • Adventures of Superman #642
     - 
    Sacrifice, Part III : "
    Remembrance"
     = DANG! Greg Rucka comes in to save this crossover from mundanity! Very interesting that Max pretended to be Jonathan Kent to mind blast Clark. The moment when I realized Superman's doubt was artificially implanted, I swear I almost ripped the page by turning it so fast. The layouts with the all-star SOB Max Lord and his god damn nosebleeds were brilliant. I feel so bad for my big blue boy scout, and I'm going to feel worse as he comes to blows with Athena's champion. Watch out Maxy, Diana has god-vision!
  • Wonder Woman #219
     - 
    Sacrifice, Part IV : "Tygers & Lambs
    "
     = Oh my god. I need Rip Hunter to take me back to 2005 so I can read this alongside everybody else during the countdown hype. This was freaking fantastic. I cannot sing praises to Greg Rucka enough. This man knows how to write a comic book. I have to stop writing so I can continue reading.
  • The OMAC Project #4
     - "The King Is Dead..." = Bro what? No way they killed Sasha off, I'm sure her secret not-OMAC power will heal her and be Brother Eye's Achilles heel. Crazy to see the fall of Checkmate as well as the OMAC Project activated to the highest degree. Even the little things are so cool, like Brother Eye scrambling the League by manufacturing various mini crises across the world as he cleans house. A crippled Bruce is finally confronted by the manifestation of his paranoia, his sins have been found out, and all will suffer because of them. 
  • Wonder Woman #220
     - "Affirmative Defense" = Absolutely heartbreaking. This is the darkest hour of the trinity. The glue of the superhero community has eroded and been pulled apart by distrust and moral strife. The Black King has raised his kingdom of tears; the League is over. It's really tragic to think that Diana lost her best friends in an attempt to save them and the world. As much as I wanted to kill Max Lord, I do agree with Clark and Bruce; there is a better way, they could have kept him alive somehow. Even without the foresight, the vision of Pallas showed Diana the way to end this fight, regardless of the aftermath. I'm glad we finally resolved the Jonah/Checkmate plot, though it leaves us with a sense of Kafkaesque dread; there is nothing Diana can do, only wait for the tempest to unfold.
  • Adventures of Superman #643
     - "Fragmentation" = Greg Rucka is bringing on the depression man. Every word spoken has the weight of an entire planet. The worst thing is that Rucka has devised this entire scenario to provide equally sympathetic viewpoints for all of the Trinity. Superman was under mind control, Batman was mind-wiped and beaten half dead, Diana had to kill someone to save the world. All of it maintains credence, all of it has ground to stand behind. I agree with each of them, but I disagree with each of them too. Greg Rucka is a genius.
  • Villains United #4
     - "A Weapon To Unify" = Still a lot of fun. Highlights were definitely the opening sequence and the revelation of the Society's true plan, which all in all could be an event unto itself. The fight and Firestorm reveal were great too, as well as the backstory for Catman's metamorphosis. I definitely think Cheshire is the mole for the Society now, there have been way too many panels with her eavesdropping menacingly throughout the last couple issues. Either her or Deadshot who would be the most unexpected, but most likely Cheshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment