Sunday, October 16, 2022

JSA All-Stars + Tis' The Season (JSA #52-55) Review


JSA All-Stars

  • JSA All-Stars #1 - "Legacy" = This dude's name is really Legacy? That's dumb as hell, but I'm down for the ride I guess. He looks like an evil King Mob which I think is hilarious. All I was thinking while reading this was how it was going to fit in continuity, either before or after Princes of Darkness. I was worried about the art, but I actually enjoyed it. I think this is the same guy that drew issue 46 of JSA, and he did great!
  • JSA All-Stars #2 - "Flying High" = Fantastic issue, much better than the first. I love the Hawks, and this was an excellent adjacent touchstone for the character of Kendra. Her biological daughter brought into the fray yields some crazy considerations and ramifications for her dynamic with Carter. So much context is brought to the rebellious brawler we saw in the beginning of JSA. She was scared to have a family, because she was scared to lose one again! Phil Winslade was a major upgrade from whoever did the first one, and Johns/Goyer keep killing it!
  • JSA All-Stars #3 - "Challenging Fate" = The continuity is going to drive me insane! I'm not sure where to put this; before Princes of Darkness, but also before Savage Times? The premonitions of a confrontation with Hawkman are interesting too, and I love to see that Nabu action after the great JSA #48. No way he's going to kill Hawkgirl, I call serious BS, but maybe they'll put an interesting spin (could this be during Princes of Darkness?). Barry Kitson did a great job on art, and I loved the Darwyn Cooke backup chapter.
  • JSA All-Stars #4 - "A Star Is Born" = Probably the best issue yet. I love Courtney and Pat, I love their dynamic, and I loved every page of the original Stars & STRIPE series. This is a great epilogue to the run, and dealing with her biological father was fantastically painful to endure. The tragedy is done really well, and I'm so glad that she has finally matured and moved on. I'm assuming this is the first time she uses the name Stargirl, which is awesome. The Mike Mckone art suited the story really well, and I'm excited to see his work on the Titans run.
  • JSA All-Stars #5 - "An Hour at a Time" = This was a lot of fun. Rex is one of the best additions to the JSA, and his own personal pathos is unique and interesting to explore. Had no idea who the artist was, but I ended up enjoying his style, kind of a Stephen Sadowski/Leonard Kirk reminiscent style consistent with the other JSA book coming out.
  • JSA All-Stars #6 - "Out of the Shadows" = The dream team is back! Sadowski returns for a wonderful Mid-Nite story as Johns/Goyer tackle the classic pregnant woman in labor during a major crisis trope. I'm not sure if the backstory presented in this was from the Matt Wagner series that introduced Pieter, or if Johns and Goyer concocted this yarn for this chapter. Nevertheless, I loved this, and the naming of the child was extremely touching.
  • JSA All-Stars #7 - "Fair Enough" = This was probably the worst out of all of them since it was the shortest. I guess Holt had a new grave made at the end, but I'm not sure how that makes things make sense in his head. Maybe because if there is an afterlife, his wife isn't there alone? I'm not sure, but I am sure that the art was the weakest out of all the issues.
  • JSA All-Stars #8 - "And Justice For All" = Solid! The art wasn't great in the first half, but Vellutio pulled it off once they faced off against Legacy. I enjoyed the Wizard twist and the character devs for everyone. The best thing about this was the dialogue: you can always tell when writers care a whole bunch about the characters they're interacting with, and Johns + Goyer absolutely love the JSA and their respective pathos.
[JSA : Tis' The Season]
  • JSA #52 - "Brand New Day" = The bait is crazy! This was a fantastic issue following the bombastic POD arc. The new status quo is great, and I loved checking in with the whole team. You could give me a JSA book where they sit around and hang out and I would still buy it, that's how much I like these characters. The Cave Carson segment and the Jesse Quick/Hourman stuff were easily my favorites, although Alex getting recruited into Black Adam's task force spices things up. Jakeem/Billy/Courtney love triangle? Very interested in this Crimson Avenger plot, and I'm glad it's getting payed off after so long. Is the man Wildcat supposedly framed the father of the Killer Wasp? Yellow Wasp abducted Ted's son and raised him as his own, however according to Killer Wasp, Jake is dead and Wildcat killed his dad. Now that I reread JSA #37, Charles Durham is a completely different person. But I hope that Killer Wasp plotline gets picked up at some point. 
  • JSA #53 - "Blinded" = I'm a little let down because we didn't get any answers to the Killer Wasp plot, but this was still great. Pieter stuff is kino, Power Girl and Wildcat have an incredible dynamic, and that epilogue was so much fun. A nice way to wrap up that Nemesis thread which never fit, ends up working in favor for the lead up to Black Reign. Can Mid-Nite get redemption from fumbling Canary and bag PG instead?
  • JSA #54 - "Virtue, Vice, & Pumpkin Pie" = Wholesome in excelsis. This was fantastic. Don Kramer's pencils bring an almost Kevin Maguire-esque feel, while Johns shines brighter than the god damn starheart with his dialogue and character interactions. That sequence with Pieter and Dinah hurt my soul, let my boy catch a break please! The Rick and Jesse tension was fantastic as well, and it was great to see Liberty Belle. Batman and Terrific as the bookends ended up being super fun, and I'm glad that Johns enjoys highlighting this friendship throughout this run.
  • JSA #55 - "Be Good For Goodness' Sake" = AHHHHHH! For all the crap Johns has churned out in the 2010's, JSA has my heart forever. This was something spectacular. The twist turning this into a spotlight issue on Ma Hunkel, who would have thought of that! Issue of the goddamn year man. Leonard Kirk knocks it out of the park with his art, and the dynamic between the old stallions of the JSA never fails to be a pleasure to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment